Riding Clothes and Equipment List
All equestrian items may be ordered from Manhattan Saddlery and shipped directly to camp. International Riding Camp campers receive a 10% discount on all purchases!
- SEI approved helmet – mandatory. If your helmet has been involved in a serious fall, retire and get a new one. All helmets must have a secure chin strap that is free of any damage or signs of wear.
- Body protection vest – mandatory for CROSS COUNTRY JUMPING and for jumping in the riding ring.
- Students are required to use footwear that is protective. You must bring boots or paddock shoes. Rubber boots or rubber-topped muckers etc. are not considered protective and not allowed to be used in barn area around horses.
- Two or three pairs of breeches or jodhpurs.
- OR a pair of chaps or half chaps worn over jeans with paddock shoes.
- Riding Gloves to prevent blisters while riding
- Riding raincoat – the clear riding raincoats are best
- Riding crop- be sure to label it with your child’s name. Your favorite color plastic tape will help identify your crop
HORSE GROOMING EQUIPMENT (MANDATORY)
Even if you are coming for a week, these items are part of your daily tool chest and will be part of your stable management course. It sounds like a lot of items, but they are all inexpensive and the grooming box will help you stay organized and tidy. You’ll need:
Grooming box, hard body brush, soft body brush, rubber curry comb, hoof pick, mane
comb, scraper blade, bar of saddle soap, two tack sponges, jar of “Farrier’s Fix Hoof
Oil”, plastic spray bottle of fly repellent.
RECOGNIZED HORSESHOWS (USA EQUESTRIAN – SANCTIONED)
The first thing you need to do if you are going to compete in a recognized horse show is to become a member of the United States Equestrian Federation. This not only allows you to compete without having to pay a non-member fee, but you get their magazine sent to you as well. There are a lot of other benefits as well. Please, contact them for a membership application if you don’t have one already.
USA Equestrian at 859-258-2472 or www.usef.org
You’ll need: Black Helmet with tan or clear harness, Riding Jacket, Two riding shirts,
2 Hairnets (along with barrettes, bobby pins, ponytail holders or whatever you need to
keep your hair neatly under the hat), Black boots with beige breeches or brown paddock
boots with tan or beige jodhpurs, leather garter straps and pant clips.
Consult your tack shop as far as fit is concerned. Tall boots should be snug around the calf and at the top.
CLOTHING AND MISCELLANEOUS
(be sure to label each item with your name)
4 pairs of jeans, 3 pairs of shorts, 6 T-shirts, 1 sweatshirt ,1 windbreaker, underwear, 12 pairs of socks, 2 bathing suits, 1 beach towel, 3 bath towels, 2 washcloths, soap dish, plastic cup, toiletries, small caddy for shampoo and toiletries etc., 2 sets of twin (not cot) size sheets and pillow cases, pillow, lightweight blanket, comforter, laundry bag, fishnet sock bag (helps keep laundry organized), tennis shoes (absolutely no black rubber on bottom), tennis racquet, 3 tennis balls, wrist guards (for roller-skating), flashlight, water bottle, stationery and stamps. A four- or five-drawer clear plastic bureau. Just pack everything into the bureau before you come to camp and checking in will be a snap. They are available at shops like Bed, bath and Beyond, Kohl’s, Target, Walmart etc.
Please, do not bring a trunk! Only those campers bringing their own horse will be allowed to keep a tack trunk at the barn. Our space is limited! Soft bags are recommended and they can be stored under the bed or in the closet.
Riding clothes and equipment may be ordered from Manhattan Saddlery and shipped directly to camp. International Riding Camp campers receive a 10% discount on all purchases!